Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Short Thought On A Sad Fact

Fact:  60% of College Graduates Do Not Read A Book A Year After Graduating.

How is it that the older generations of Americans say that society is dumbing down?  Easy.  The fact above is one of the ways that it is.  Imagine reading "The Grapes of Wrath" instead of watching the movie.  You might actually have to use your imagination instead of having the picture painted for you.  That use of your imagination could spark another idea or thought that leads to discovery.  Instead we are sloth-like in our habits of allowing others to show us their ideas and thoughts instead of having our own.

3 comments:

Zebster said...

I agree with you, though I'm more guilty than I should be. In my defense I have and used the Kindle app on my phone and laptop, and Grapes of Wrath is one of my all-time favs. But I don't read anywhere near as much as I did 35 years or more ago.

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised. When I graduated college many years ago, I refused to read a book for nearly half a decade. I didn't want anything to do with them until I got the original Palm Pilot and bought Walter Payton's book as an eBook.

I have read books since then, and nowadays I wait for the ones I want to come out on Kindle. It's a lot easier carrying around a library on a 7" screen.

Brent said...

Every year, I reread books and read new ones. Some on the Kindle Fire that I have, and some like Sherman Alexei that refuse to have their books disseminated electronically. And reading a book electronically is better than none at all. I don't get the same experience with an e-book, but it is cheaper and more accessible than anything here in my neck of the woods.

For myself, reading a book allows me to slow down and sort through things even as I am reading. Sort of a way to allow the subconscious to catch up to the hectic pace of life.