Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Obama Administration Stirs Up A Hornet's Nest In Declaration That The President Supports Gay Marriage



This is a picture that I put up on my facebook page about 6 months ago.  It is what I believe.  I have gay and lesbian friends.  And it doesn’t seem right to me that something that I believe is genetically decided should be the cause of them not being married.  Well, apparently the North Carolina Constitutional Amendment passing by 20 points has prodded President Obama to publicly support gay marriage.  And that is fine by me.  He needs to come out and tell the public what he believes.  And if the people that don’t believe that gay marriage should be legal because of religious views, then they can criticize all they want, but I don’t see them clamoring to follow the laws set out in the bible.  So that argument seems a little hypocritical to me.  Anyways, here is the transcript for President Obama’s proclamation that he supports gay marriage:

“I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,” he told ABC.

This announcement is a game-changing event in the election of 2012.  Will it hurt or help?  Only time will tell.  But there is one fact that you cannot deny.  Gay marriage is becoming more accepted in America and that at some point in the future, Gay marriage will become the law of the land.  It might not be the next 10 or 20 years, but I would predict within the next 40 years, the anti-gay marriage laws and constitutional amendments passed by many states will become null and void because of Federal statues that say that two people, no matter what sex they are have the right to marry.  And at some point in the future, our descendents will look back at the fights around gay marriage and say that we have evolved and are happy that such backward thinking isn’t around anymore.  Sort of like us and slavery.  Anyways, the next 6 months should be more interesting just because of this announcement.

Cross-posted at An Angry Dakota Democrat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's going to be interesting how this will play out with Obama's base. Romney's base is what it is. But what about the religious left? Where will they stand in November?

Zebster said...

I believe he knows that this won't change how those who don't like him anyway will view him. I think he did this now as an olive branch to the left. I agree with his decision both ways.